Areas of Work
The Federation of Bakers recognises that it can be most effective through an efficient use of its resources. This means that we work with those organisations best placed to make a difference on any particular issue to ensure their position coincides with ours but then to let them lobby to achieve the desired change where appropriate.
For example, UK industry-wide issues, such as employment legislation, we would work with the CBI; food industry-wide issues, such as nutrition labelling, we would work with the Food and Drink Federation (FDF). We would reserve to the FoB activity on those issues directly related to the bread industry, such as bread basket recovery or flour fortification, either in partnership with others or on our own.
Similarly we are able to focus our work on our core competencies by outsourcing much of the administrative management of the Federation to the FDF, such as our reception, building maintenance, finance and IT.
Our three key functions:
The Federation represents the interests of its members to make a real difference to their bottom lines.
We represent these interests by:
- building the profile of the Federation as a dynamic forward thinking, professional and excellent organisation
- generically promoting members products through creative PR using the positive and very powerful nutritional benefits of the nation's staple food
- sophisticated issues management to promote desired change and to defend against the undesired, and to position the Federation correctly in respect of all issues with which it is faced.
Examples of our work can be seen throughout this website. Our PR and communication work comprises trade activity that sees us regularly featured in the media with important things to say on issues affecting the food industry, and consumer activity that communicates the positive aspects of bread.
We also work in conjunction with the Flour Advisory Bureau to communicate facts about the industry via an excellent educational website keyed directly to the National Curriculum www.grainchain.com
Recent key issues we have been dealing with include:
- The Public Health Responsibility Deal
- Salt reduction in bread
- EU Food Information Regulation
- Nutrition Labelling
- Food Waste/WRAP
2. Value Added Services
There are some very concrete things the Federation can and does provide better and cheaper than the members themselves:
- Training - whenever the industry identifies a training need the Federation is able to deliver a cost effective solution. Most recently we have devised a course to explain the complex area of bread weights. In the past we have run courses on large-scale bread production, as well as a seminar on the dangers of and solutions to driver tiredness.
- Health and Safety - the Federation leads the baking industry in the promotion of high standards of health and safety. Our Health and Safety Committee is continually developing a wide range of safety guidance notes on equipment, processes and management to make sure the working environment is safe for all of our Members' employees. Federation Members all operate a contractors’ passport scheme.
- Statistics - the aggregation of detailed market data provided by our members gives them a source of information unobtainable by commercial data providers.
An often overlooked but very important function provided by trade associations is the ability to provide a neutral environment for industry representatives to get together to discuss the issues facing the industry.